Updated: Mar 22, 2022
An interview with the founder of Method Putkisto, Marja Putkisto
You can reduce your wrinkles naturally with exercise
"People want instant results," says Marja Putkisto, of Method Putkisto, a company with branches in the UK, US and Finland, where the 'face clinic' method originated.
"As with exercising any part of your body, however, it takes work before you'll see the effects. But you will see an amazing difference - our exercises eliminate double chins, reduce puffiness and wrinkles, and will improve skin texture. It also helps realign the upper body, the key to reducing shoulder and neck tension.
How does exercising my face reduce wrinkles?
"The skin needs a good supply of oxygen to stay looking healthy,"
"Very few people utilise their full range of muscles," says Marja. "Just think, for example, how little you move your eyes when you sit at a computer all day. These exercises increase circulation and oxygen - clearing away toxins, smoothing lines and giving a healthier skin tone."
Knowing which areas to target is key to getting good results. "Our method focuses on relaxing the tight, short muscles in your face, such as your biting muscles," says Marja. "Strengthening other, smaller muscles. This method also realigns the jaw, improving posture."
Can I use massage to reduce my facial wrinkles?
Massage is very good for the skin, but it won't improve muscle tone. "Using different muscles and parts of your face also encourages you to use different muscles when you perform 'standard' facial expressions such as smiling or frowning, for example," says Marja. "Your frown lines will appear reduced because you're spreading the effort across more facial muscles."
So how can I get rid of my saggy cheeks?
"The Centre Triangle Lift stretches, mobilises and strengthens the important cheek muscles, lifting your cheeks," says Marja.
• Place your fingertips on your cheekbones, a couple of centimetres in from your temples and tilt your chin towards your chest.
• Use your fingers to lift the muscles up and over the cheekbones, and breathe out.
• Create a stretch by opening your mouth slowly, continue opening and closing your mouth - repeat between five and 10 times.
"You may be surprised at how tight these muscles are and may even feel the stretch in your neck," says Marja.
And how can I get rid of a wrinkly neck?
"Loose skin on the neck indicates that you are not holding your head and jaw in a relaxed position," says Marja.
• Lift your chin and place both your hands at the top of your throat.
• Lift your jaw without flinging your head back.
• Push your jaw forward to feel the stretch.
"To see how tight your neck muscles are, try swallowing in this position," says Marja. "This tightness hinders support of the upper part of the neck, allowing skin to sag."
Can face exercises get rid of extra chins?
The first step to losing an extra chin is to lose weight – like the spare tyre around your waist, a spare chin is often down to excess body fat.
Loss of definition around your cheeks and jawline is often caused by lost teeth that haven't been replaced – your gnashers and jawbone are the scaffolding to your skin. Get well-fitting dentures to ensure this isn't the case for you.
And to target the chin through exercise try this:
• Sitting upright, tilt your head back to stare at the ceiling.
• Bring your lower lip up and over your upper lip as far as possible - count slowly to five.
• Relax and let your head come back to its normal position. Repeat five times. Do this exercise twice daily.
What can I do about the excess baggage under my eyes?
A main cause of eye bags is collected toxins and water under your eyes - that's why you look slightly puffy eyed if you've been drinking the night before.
• Put your fingertips under your eyebrows and gently lift your eyelids
• Press your upper lids down, holding your fingertips in place, and count to five. Then relax. Repeat this twice.
• Now put your fingertips to the outer corners of your eyes, moving your fingers upwards as you move your eyelids down - repeat three times.
We invite you to experience the magic of Method Putkisto with a Face Sample Session - discover how to HERE
Welcome to our 'We Love You Summit' Saturday 23rd April - Give a day to beauty! Register HERE
© Method Putkisto